On March 18th, 2012 (a day that shall ever live in infamy), the SPA Liaison Board Position was approved by the LARA General Membership.
For those who are not familiar with the term SPA Liaison, the SPA Liaison is the Liaison for the chapter’s Self Published Authors (i.e. SPA). While the exact duties of the SPA Liaison are in the process of being more fully defined, the general job description at this point is that they will run a private forum for “Qualified SPA Members,” find resources to help SPA members in their self-publishing journey, and be the Go-To Person for authors in the chapter who are considering self-publishing or have self-published.
One of the most important factors decided at the Board meeting after the General Meeting was to define who qualifies as a SPA Member. It was decided…
To Qualify as a SPA Member:
- SPA membership is open to any member of LARA who has personally completed the process of publishing an original work of fiction. This may be via Electronic publishing (EPub) or print on demand technology, and sales must be via an established channel.
- The work must be available on a website which is dedicated to commerce (i.e., uploading to a personal or scholastic website is not sufficient) even though the book may be free for marketing purposes from time to time.
- The work must be at least 20,000 words in length, must contain romantic elements, and must be available for download in at least one standard format.
- The work must be produced in accordance with SPA best practices (coming soon), and the author must so certify in her application.
- An anthology of the author’s works qualifies if the total word count meets the requirements, but an anthology that includes the works of others does not, regardless of word count.
- Authors who self-publish their backlist qualify if they meet all other requirements.
According to the bylaws, the SPA Liaison must qualify as a SPA Member in order to be the SPA Liaison.
As such, the Board is happy to announce that LARA’s first SPA Liaison is Tom Atwood.
More information about Tom and SPA is also coming soon. Tom will soon be calling together the first meeting of SPA Members to help lay down the terms for this group.
For those members who qualify currently as a SPA Member, and who are interested in helping shape this new group, you can contact Tom at SpaLiaison@lararwa.com.