Self-Publishing on a Shoestring by Christiana Miller
LARA Members $25 / Non-Members $35
CLASS DESCRIPTION: Indie publishing has changed the publishing industry. Royalties have increased and backlists have become more valuable. Vanity presses have become superfluous. Indie authors have direct contact with readers and are growing lucrative careers. Many hybrid authors are using indie publishing to pay the bills and traditional publishing to extend their reach.
Indie publishing has come a long way. Over the last ten years, indie publishing has launched thousands of careers and taken authors from near-poverty to multi-million dollar success. And despite the critics claims that the digital book market is going to crash, the industry just seems to be getting hotter.
But is indie publishing right for you? If you wanted to dip a toe into that pool, how do you even begin? What do you need to know? What exactly does indie publishing entail? How do you deal with things like editing and formatting and covers, or setting up distribution accounts? What about exclusive distribution, like Amazon Select? What does it all mean? How do you navigate it all? How do you avoid the predators who have sprung up around every corner, their hands out for your hard-earned dollars? How do you even begin to make your books visible in a sea of over 3 million e-books?
Becoming an indie author can be like learning a new language. The initial learning curve is steep, but the rewards are more than worth it. This class is an introduction to the world of indie publishing, with a guide who’s built her publishing career entirely as an indie, and is willing to share her process with you.
INSTRUCTOR BIO: Christiana Miller is the author of the bestselling Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She’s Dead series. Along with being a writer, she’s taught a number of classes on self-publishing, and has worked as a professional consultant. She originally started out writing for TV, but quickly found being an indie author was not only more lucrative, but much more fun.
Watch this space for more classes, thanks!
Los Angeles Romance Writers online classes are scheduled a few times per year.
Courses are run on a Yahoo! group forum and feature various themes. Online classes are conducted via email/forum only, with no real-time or live chats.
Participants will be added to the forum for the period of the workshop and then removed after the class has been completed. Workshops are open to anyone with email access (not just LARA or RWA® members). However, LARA members are eligible for reduced rates.
- All payments must be received by registration deadline.
- A Confirmation Letter of Payment will be sent promptly. Invitations to a class are sent 2 days prior to its start. If you pay for a workshop and do not receive a confirmation letter and an invitation to join the class forum by that time, please contact the online class coordinator immediately.
- Workshops require a minimum of 10 participants. If less than 10 participants are registered by the deadline, the workshop may be cancelled. If such a situation occurs, participants will be notified via email.
- LARA is not responsible for technical issues or personal access issues, but we will provide instruction and assistance if at all possible. If you are unable to access the online class, please contact the online class coordinator for assistance.
- REFUND POLICY – No registration fees will be refunded. In the event a class is canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, registration fees may be applied to a future LARA online class of your choosing.
See the archive for topics and instructors of previous classes and workshops.